A blog for the kind-hearted cook.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Taco Salad

I know, my avocados could have ripened longer

I am a sucker when it comes to a good taco salad. My co-worker always brought in this amazing looking gluten-free taco salad that I would drool over every day as I ate my measly can of soup, or whatever I dragged out of the cupboard, so I decided I HAD to make for myself. It was amazing. And the best part about it; is that it is good hot or cold so it is perfect for lunches at the office!

Taco Salad
INGREDIENTS:
(you can really put whatever you want in your salad, these are just my favorites)
  • 1/2 box white quinoa, cooked
  • Tofutti Sour Cream
  • Avocado
  • Taco Sauce (this is like the dressing- could use salsa too)
  • Shredded Lettuce
  • Black Beans
  • Diced Tomato
  • 1 Small Can of Black Olives
  • Approx. 1/2 Bag Frozen Corn
  • Fake Meat (I used baked tofu, but ground crumbles or seitan or chik'n work well too!)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. After the quinoa is cooked, I spread it on a cookie sheet and either pat it dry (if I am in a rush) or stick it in the oven, to dry it out a bit. I hate when quinoa is mushy and dense with water.
  2. Then get a giant casserole dish or tupperware to layer your salad (any order is fine, just make sure the lettuce is at the top so it doesn't get soggy): Quinoa, corn, black beans, tomato, olives, meat, avocado, sour cream & lettuce!
  3. You can either eat it now hot or put it in the fridge and eat it as a cold salad the next day!
This recipe is amazing because it is also SUPER protein punch! Between the protein in the beans and quinoa - any vegan is set for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment